Forum Pakistan
New User? Register | Search | Memberlist | Log in
Forum Pakistan - Pakistani Forums
Pakistani forum to discuss Pakistani Media, Siasat, Politics Talk Shows, Khaber Akhbar, Khel, Cricket, Film, Dramas, Songs, Videos, Shairy, Shayari, Pyar Mohabbat ki Kahani, Tourism, Hotels, Fashion, Property, Naukary Gupshup and more.
Watch TV OnlineLive RadioListen QuranAkhbarFree SMS PakistanResults OnlineUrdu EditorLollywoodLive Cricket Score
Government DepartmentsKSE Live RatesUseful LinksJobsOnline GamesCheck EmailPromote us
GEO News LiveGEO NewsDawn News Live TVExpress News

Robina Ashraf - profile, interview & pictures

Bookmark and Share

Reply to topic    Forum Pakistan - Pakistani Forums Home » Actresses Profiles
Hira1990
Junior PK Member
Junior PK Member

Robina Ashraf

Robina Ashraf is very talented and versatile actress of Pakistani television She is very popular actress.Robina Ashraf started her acting career from Lahore TV station. She appeared in varied roles and proved that she is a very good performer. Rubina Ashraf is very talented actress .After getting married she moved to Karachi. She continued to act, and gave excellent performance in plays.Robina Ashraf is very nice person and versatile actress .

Interview

When Rubina Ashraf stepped through the gate, impeccably and smartly dressed in trousers and a top, I thought she looked even better than she does on television.
Rubina made her presence felt on the small screen ever since she appeared on it almost two decades ago. As we settled down. I asked Rubina if the other actresses to join television during that particular decade - the mid '70s to mid'80s - Arifa Siddiqui, Saba Pervez, Huma Akbar, Samina Peerzada, and Shehnaz Sheikh etc. offered tough competition for her.

"There were actresses of such high caliber as Roohi Bano, Uzma Gilani and Khalida Riyasat, who had already made their impact on the viewers. We, the new entrants, were not competing with each other. Our competition was with those stalwarts. Their roles, their aura, was what we wanted to emulate," said Rubina.

Pleased to learn that she and I belonged to the same fraternity of the visual arts, Rubina graduated as a Graphic Designer in 1986. "So did my friends Saba (Pervez) and her sister Huma," she continued.

Why did this trio then decided to join television as actresses rather than set designers or some other such vocation, which would have been in their direct line of professional expertise. Rubina explained that Asif Raza Mir, who wanted them to audition for a play, had approached the two sisters Saba and Huma who were his neighbors, Rubina tagged along with them when they decided to give it a shot. All three qualified for various roles.

She had a small role in Ashfaque Ahmed's Aur Dramay and then did a long play directed by the late M.N.H called Sawan Roop, in which she acted with Sahira Kazmi. Her turning point came in Mustansir Hussain Tarar's serial Hazaron Raastay. This was to be Rubina's first and last serial from Lahore, as she treaded onto another raasta - the marital one - which brought her to Karachi. Her husband Tariq is into marketing. The two have a 12-year-old daughter and a 10-year-old son.

Did she feel a difference of environment at KTV? Lahore?
"No, not really. The working environment was the same even though the moods of the two cities remain quite different from each other. But now everything has changed," she lamented. "Everyone has changed. I have changed too. We are responsible for the decline in the quality of our plays. We have become overconfident."

Rubina narrated how in the past of television, people used to be totally dedicated to their work. She remembered she was expecting her first baby when she was working with director Kazim Pasha in the serial Seeriah. The director used to wait for her outside Dr. Talati's clinic where she was administered drips and then he would take her to the location or set immediately afterwards - "But," said Rubina with a laugh, "Even in that state, I did not shy away from doing scenes that demanded vigorous exercise, like riding in a donkey cart on the city roads in full speed, with actor Warsi in tow!"

Why did everyone keep complaining about the lack of commitment but no one seemed to take any measures to rectify the situation? Rubina after donning the director's cap, surely could call the sots, and give the viewer some good quality plays.
"Yes, I certainly hope to do that. After my first venture, Rehnay do, which was telecast recently, I have just completed directing yet another serial written by Mohammad Ahmad, called Teray Siwa."

Rubina has three more projects under her belt. All three are serials and the writers are Seema Ghazal, Sajid Hasan and Fasih Bari respectively. She was all praise for the latter as he is a new entrant, but according to her, "he could be one of the best writers around."

Was it difficult for her to act as well as direct? I have had my share of recognition as an actress. I am getting detached from it now. I don't mind giving it up completely.
Rubina did not come up with the typical "I still have to perform the ultimate role," when I questioned her as to whether her desire to act meaty characters had been fulfilled."I'm lucky to have done a number of varied roles. I was a girl with a limp in Seeriah, a beggar woman in a young to old role in Bhanwar, besides a number of various characters as leading lady."

Recently, she did a 13-episode sitcom with Munawwar Saeed and Behroz Subzwari called Aisa bhi hota hay, written by Anwar Maqsood and directed by Mohsin Ali. This prompted me to ask her about yet another comedy currently shown on the Indus Vision channel called Salma aur Sitaray, penned by Anwar Maqsood's wife and sister-in-law. Rubina said she regretted not putting more effort into that project. She said she could have probably helped all concerned to make it into a better serial.

However she enjoyed doing her few comedy roles. "Serious acting, if you are doing it from your heart and doing it well takes something out of you. Acting is about empathy. A serious role exhausts you if you are doing it with full sincerity. Likewise, comedy for an introvert like me, helps to elevate the spirit. It is very enjoyable." She then warned, "Let no one tell you that one is more difficult or easier than the other. Both have to be taken seriously."

"So how does it feel to be a thanedarni?"
I joked about her Pas-e-Aina role, and found Rubina to be very fond of this particular series that has had at least 200 episodes to its credit. "Do you know, someone coming from Peshwar has just told me that he saw my picture painted behind a truck - in my inspector's uniform - my Pas-e-Aina character.

This show of appreciation has overwhelmed me. I suppose, despite being a woman, my integrity, authority and perseverance as someone in uniform, has an appeal for the masses." Rubina says she receives a number of phone calls from people who look up to her for help. "That is the kind of power that television has!" she commented proudly.While discussing the 'ultimate' medium, films, Rubina aired her views emphatically. "Pakistan may filmain acchhi nahin bantin tau na banain! We watch films only by choice, and now we have a choice to watch not only the Bollywood and Hollywood films but also films from Iran, films from Italy whoever makes good films.With a flick from a finger we can watch these right inside our homes.So who cares if we cannot make good films Television, in my mind, is now a bigger medium for us than films. It is more important to make good television in Pakistan".

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
I K QAZI

She is indeed a very good & a versatile actress.

Kyun k Humey Mashoor Hona Tha
گھر سے نکلے نگر نگر چلے
با عمل اور با شہور ہونا تھا
داغ اسلئے دِل پہ لے لیے قاضی
کیوں کے ھمیں مشہور ہونا تھا
Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
jamasif0
Pak Newbie

aslam-o-alekum Reply with quote
hello main is actoress se milla chahta hon
Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Forum Pakistan - Pakistani Forums Home » Actresses Profiles All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Gupshup Forum: Urdu ForumIslam ForumPakistan Army ForumAap Ka SheharNaukaryPakistani Visa
Desi Sports and News: Live CricketSports ForumAkhbar OnlinePakistan EventsWorld News Discussion
Entertainment Media: PTV ForumGEO ForumLollywood ForumBollywood OnlineHollywood ForumDesi Radio
Desi Masala Forums: Gupshup Chit ChatComputer GamesMusic ForumDrama ForumsGhazal ForumDesi FashionDesi Food
Official Forums (Government Department): Dak Khana ChatPolice ForumWapda OnlinePTCL ForumUfone ForumRailway ForumSehat Chit ChatTaleem OnlineTax Forum PKZameen ForumAdalat Forum

Pure Pakistani forum to express your views, thoughts with complete freedom. Archives 1 2
Copyright © ForumPakistan.com 2013 All rights reserved.

Contact Us | Advertise | Report Abuse | FP Team | Disclaimer